Food from India is really great. From delicious spices to tasty sauces, there is a lot to choose from. If you want to try making some for yourself, this site features some great recipes including one for Savory Indian Tomato Chutney.
Once you have tried this, there are lots of other types of chutney to try, such as the popular Apple Raisin Chutney. So if you are stuck for something to do at home, having played online game and watched television to your heart’s content, why not have a go at making this great meal accompaniment.
This type of chutney is especially great to have with vegetarian meals like spicy tofu or Indian flatbreads. It’s best if you can make this with organic ingredients as these will give the best taste and be healthier for you.
You will also need organic raisins and things like sugar, ground ginger, vinegar, onions, garlic, mustard seeds, lemon juice and ground cloves.
This is just a guide, as many recipes vary. However, you could always adapt the recipe to your own taste as well.
Another popular type of Indian Chutney is mango chutney. For this, you will need mangoes, raisins, sugar, vinegar, ginger, garlic and salt. Many chutneys are similar in their basic ingredients, simply differing in their main flavours.
If you want to try something a little unusual, then a really interesting option is coconut chutney. This is a great accompaniment to idlis, which is a form of South Indian steamed rice cakes, or dosas and uttapams, which are rice pancakes.
Whichever flavours you prefer, there should be something to suit your taste. There are so many different flavourful options when it comes to Indian chutneys, and as you get to learn about which one is best with specific dishes, you will perhaps even be able to come up with your own.
How to Prepare Savory Indian Tomato Chutney?
Chutneys prepared from fresh fruits, vegetables and spices are condiments that occupy a special place in the list of healthy Indian recipes. The taste can vary between sweet, sour and spicy.
The dish is salubrious and tasty. This savory and salubrious condiment can be prepared from items that can be easily procured from the local grocery shop.
Tomatoes four (large), six (medium), eight (small); 2 tablespoonful of ground or freshly crushed coriander; 1 tablespoonful of finely chopped fresh cilantro, 2 fresh chili peppers of medium size; two crushed cloves of garlic; half tablespoonful each of turmeric and mustard seeds; salt according to taste; oil; freshly grated coconut only if available; curry leaves.
Steps to be followed:
- The tomatoes and chili peppers are to be fine chopped and then sautéed in a 2-quart sauce pan with oil drizzle.
- The crushed garlic is to be added to chutney while the tomatoes and chili peppers are soft followed by sprinkling of salt, turmeric, coriander and mustard seeds.
- The mixture is to be allowed to simmer on low heat for some fifteen minutes. The chutney is to be stirred occasionally to avoid getting burnt at the bottom. It is advisable to add 3-4 curry leaves to the chutney.
- Fresh cilantro and some freshly grated coconut are to be added now. The curry leaves are now to be removed and discarded. Adding freshly grated coconut is not a compulsion and can be added to enhance taste only if available easily.
- The chutney is to be served over rice or dal. The tomato chutney can be canned and frozen.
The chutney is a tasty condiment that is bound to tickle the taste buds. Chutney is being prepared in India from time immemorial and is greatly regarded as one of the tastiest healthy Indian recipes.