Chutneys prepared from fresh fruits, vegetables and spices are condiments that occupy a special place in the list of healthy Indian recipes. The taste can vary between sweet, sour and spicy.
The dish is salubrious and tasty. This savory and salubrious condiment can be prepared from items that can be easily procured from the local grocery shop.
Tomatoes four (large), six (medium), eight (small); 2 tablespoonful of ground or freshly crushed coriander; 1 tablespoonful of finely chopped fresh cilantro, 2 fresh chili peppers of medium size; two crushed cloves of garlic; half tablespoonful each of turmeric and mustard seeds; salt according to taste; oil; freshly grated coconut only if available; curry leaves.
Steps to be followed:
- The tomatoes and chili peppers are to be fine chopped and then sautéed in a 2-quart sauce pan with oil drizzle.
- The crushed garlic is to be added to chutney while the tomatoes and chili peppers are soft followed by sprinkling of salt, turmeric, coriander and mustard seeds.
- The mixture is to be allowed to simmer on low heat for some fifteen minutes. The chutney is to be stirred occasionally to avoid getting burnt at the bottom. It is advisable to add 3-4 curry leaves to the chutney.
- Fresh cilantro and some freshly grated coconut are to be added now. The curry leaves are now to be removed and discarded. Adding freshly grated coconut is not a compulsion and can be added to enhance taste only if available easily.
- The chutney is to be served over rice or dal. The tomato chutney can be canned and frozen.
The chutney is a tasty condiment that is bound to tickle the taste buds. Chutney is being prepared in India from time immemorial and is greatly regarded as one of the tastiest healthy Indian recipes.