India is a country of incredible fascination and charm. It has been known for its ancient culture and civilization. This country is rich in natural beauty in every sense.
One can find high mountains, roaring waves, monster waterfalls, sun washed golden beaches and desert areas which are attractive to watch and interesting to explore.
India derived its name from the River Indus. The home of the early settlers was the valleys around this river and the Aryan worshipers referred to the river Indus as the Sindhu.
Later the Persian invaders converted it into Hindu and thus we got the name of India as ‘Hindustan’. This name is a combination of Hindu and Sindhu and thus the land is referred as the land of the Hindus.
Sanskrit is considered as the mother of all higher languages. Most of the words of Hindi and English languages are derived from the Sanskrit words. The Sanskrit name for India is ‘Bharat’.
This is a land which has given many inventions such as chess, snakes and ladder games, number system and also the invention of digit zero was on this land. There are also some studies like Algebra, Trigonometry and Calculus which were originated in India and then spread to the whole world.
India is a vast country as big as Europe. It is said to be the seventh largest country in the world and is the second largest country with the view of population. India is the largest democracy in the world and possess one of the most ancient and living civilizations.
The country which has most post offices in the world is none other than India. One will be surprised to know that the largest employer in the world is the Indian railway system. It is also the fact that Ayurveda is the earliest school of medicine which was known to mankind and was established in India. The usage of anesthesia was well known in ancient India medicine.
Although, India today shows the images of poverty, it was one of the richest countries of its time. Till the time of British in the early 17th Century, India was known for its wealth and gold. It was the time when India was known as the Golden Bird. During this period India was the only source for diamonds to the world.
Besides the above information and facts, there are few interesting and knowledgeable facts about India for kids. Lets check them out below…
Interesting Facts of India Regarding Mathematics
* Algebra, Trigonometry and Calculus are studies, which originated in India.
* The ‘Place Value System’ and the ‘Decimal System’ were developed in India in 100 B.C.
* The value of “pi” was first calculated by the Indian Mathematician Budhayana, and he explained the concept of what is known as the Pythagorean Theorem. He discovered this in the 6th century, long before the European mathematicians.
* Algebra, Trigonometry and Calculus also originated in India.Quadratic Equations were used by Sridharacharya in the 11th century. The largest numbers the Greeks and the Romans used were 106 whereas Hindus used numbers as big as 10*53 (i.e. 10 to the power of 53) with specific names as early as 5000 B.C.during the Vedic period.Even today, the largest used number is Terra: 10*12(10 to the power of 12).
* Bhaskaracharya rightly calculated the time taken by the earth to orbit the Sun hundreds of years before the astronomer Smart. According to his calculation, the time taken by the Earth to orbit the Sun was 365.258756484 days.
* The world’s first university was established in Takshila in 700 BC. More than 10,500 students from all over the world studied more than 60 subjects. The University of Nalanda built in the 4th century was one of the greatest achievements of ancient India in the field of education.
Interesting Facts of India Regarding Sports
* Chess was invented in India.
* The world’s highest cricket ground is in Chail, Himachal Pradesh. Built in 1893 after leveling a hilltop, this cricket pitch is 2444 meters above sea level.
* Martial Arts were first created in India, and later spread to Asia by Buddhist missionaries.
* The game of Snakes & Ladders was created by the 13th century poet saint Gyandev. It was originally called ‘Mokshapat’. The ladders in the game represented virtues and the snakes indicated vices.
The game was played with cowrie shells and dices. In time, the game underwent several modifications, but its meaning remained the same, i.e. good deeds take people to heaven and evil to a cycle of re-births.
Interesting Medical Related Facts of India
* Usage of anaesthesia was well known in ancient Indian medicine. Detailed knowledge of anatomy, embryology, digestion, metabolism,physiology, etiology, genetics and immunity is also found in many ancient Indian texts.
* Sushruta is regarded as the Father of Surgery. Over2600 years ago Sushrata & his team conducted complicated surgeries like cataract, artificial limbs, cesareans, fractures, urinary stones, plastic surgery and brain surgeries.
* Yoga has its origins in India and has existed for over 5,000 years.
* Ayurveda is the earliest school of medicine known to mankind. The Father of Medicine, Charaka, consolidated Ayurveda 2500 years ago.